Easy & Yummy Winter Treats to make in Your Hostel – A Tribe Hostel Edition
Winter is around the corner and it is time to brace yourselves, hostellers!
Living life in a Hostel in Pune, and missing home during this holiday season can all be a new experience for you. But who says you can’t spark the festive spirit at your hostel?
When the temperature drops, there is nothing like getting ready to jump into your cozy zone – slipping in on layered clothing, burning a scented candle, getting a hot cup of drink, and snuggling up in the corner to watch your favorite holiday movie. Well, if this isn’t the idea of a perfect winter day at the hostel then what is?!
Also, the holiday season comes with a lot of benefits. And needless to say, a lot of winter treat benefits. *wink* Imagine a hot cup of hot cocoa or the smell of freshly baked cookies or that warmness of bread pudding…that feels like a warm hug for your soul. Well, you can have this wholesome experience even at your hostel. And when it comes to providing a wholesome experience, Tribe Hostel never leaves a stone unturned. So, get in gear as Tribe Hostel is here to share some lip-smacking easy holiday recipes that you can make in a jiff at your hostels so that you do not miss out on the holiday fun and spirit. Trust us when we say that these comfort foods taste divine especially around the holiday season.
BREAD PUDDING – The Tribe Hostel Way
- Ingredients (Serves 2 people)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter, more for greasing pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- ½ loaf of sweet egg bread cut into 2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Step 1: In a small bowl, pour milk, butter, vanilla, sugar and salt. Wisk until everything is combined well. Meanwhile, butter a microwavable dish and fill it with cubed bread.
- Step 2: Pour mixture over the bread. Pop it in the microwave for 4-5 mins or until custard is set but still a little wobbly and the edges of the bread have browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Pro tip: add a handful of chocolate chips on top before baking
- Ingredients (Serves one person)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Step 1: Pour milk, cocoa powder and sugar in a mug. Pop it in the microwave for 1 min, remove and whisk it
- Step 2: Add chocolate chips and whisk constantly until the chocolate chips melt and distribute evenly into the milk. Pop in the microwave for another 2-3 mins.
*Pro tip: Add in a dash of whipped cream or pumpkin spice or throw in a couple of marshmallows.
MAC AND CHEESE
- Ingredients (Serves 4 people)
- 5 cups milk (1 ¼ L)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (455 g), dry
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (200 g)
- Step 1: In a large pot, bring the milk to a boil.
- Step 2: Add the pasta and stir constantly until the pasta is cooked about 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Turn off the heat, then add the cheddar. Stir until the cheese is melted and the pasta is evenly coated. Enjoy!
*Pro tip: You can add paprika to enhance the taste and even combine the mac n’ cheese with toasted bread to make a delicious meal.
Bidding adieu to autumn and welcoming in the winter is quite an exciting time of the year. To make it even more special, we often host fun Christmas activities for our hostellers every year. We know that the residents at our Hostel in Pune are all geared up in full swing to welcome the winter season. And if you are looking to be a part of this fun madness, come check out our Hostel in Pune which is located in Viman Nagar and Wakad.